- 2 medium Delicata squash, about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt , to taste
- Coarse-ground black pepper , to taste
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 6 fresh sage leaves, no stems, chiffonade
- Crème fraîche, optional
- Grade A maple syrup, optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Slice the squash in half lengthwise.
Using a spoon, scrape out all the seeds.
Cut the squash in half again, lengthwise (into quarters)
Drizzle oil onto squash and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 20–30 minutes, or until tender.
While the squash roasts, sauté shallots, bacon and sage over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the bacon is crisp, the fat is rendered and shallots are caramelized.
Plate squash with bacon mixture over top, drizzle with crème fraîche and maple syrup.